13 December 2010

Bruce of Oakport



This is "Kitty," who first arrived at our door on 10 Nov 2008, the day I euthanized our German Shorthaired Pointer, Stryker. From inside the house, I heard a motor running, and finally discovered it was a white, tailless cat on our front porch, purring loudly. He was very friendly, and looked hungry despite his overabundance of fur. I opened a package of tuna for him, which he gulped down with delight. We parted ways and I didn't see him again.

From time to time in the summer, I would see him in the neighborhood, and I would give him some attention (and maybe more tuna). I don't know who owns him or where he lives/sleeps, but he is not afraid of me and actually enjoys the attention.

Heather and Garett returned home from Sheppard AFB,TX, in December and by 3 Jan Garett had flown to IL for four months more of USAF training at Scott AFB. He completed his phase two of training and got back home 1 May. He had been home for awhile, and one night Heather and I were outside and heard a cat fight in the woods across the road. I had a hunch it might be that white cat, so we walked to the edge of the road, and I called, "Kitty." Sure enough, out of the woods bounded the white cat, and another cat (long tail, brown striped markings) stood looking at us when I shone a flashlight in his direction. I told Heather I see the white cat occasionally, and he is very friendly. He followed us to our yard and up on the porch, so she checked him over, and discovered that he is a neutered male. Someone must have owned him! Heather and Garett started calling him "Bruce," and I put food out for him on our porch - morning and evening - and he comes to eat. (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment